Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Pact

I got this idea from looking at Design Sponge when I saw a tiny postcard painting by Justin Clayton. He had the noble idea to paint one small painting everyday (and they are quite beautiful ones I might add). I thought his idea was very inspiring and seemed like a great way to give myself an assignment as I work my way into illustrating and painting once again for myself and not just for my work assignments.
My original intention since the age of about 10 was to be an illustrator. My friends Kim, Jackie, Brad and Christi as well as my family could vouch for that...I want to get closer to that original intention. I think drawing for myself everyday might help. I graduated from the University of Washington with a BA in Interdisciplinary Visual Arts (what is that you ask? I studied modern art, sculpture, performance art and a little drawing) and from Seattle Central Community College with an AAS degree in Graphic Design. I thought becoming employable was the most important thing in my education, and it is important if you like that sort of thing, but I am realizing it is also important to do what you truly love. I am employed from my education - I am currently a graphic designer and product designer. But, I want to do more of my own stuff, because...well, I really want to. I am starting to take drawing classes again "from the beginning" at the Kansas City Art Institute in hopes to develop my voice further.
I am inspired especially by Lisa Crum, Jon Katheiser, Amanda Kindregan, Kimberly Rottmayer, Illustration Mundo Podcasts and Illustration Friday. I see what they are doing and it makes me want to be who I want to be. Thank you!
If you once thought you might want to grow up to be a "drawler" and you feel you want to get closer to that again (and you got far away from your own voice because of time or circumstances or you got scared or whatever), I would love to hear from you and go on this journey with you! (or at least just be in support of your journey along side you).

2 comments:

Catsafterme said...

Yes, I CAN attest that you were constantly impressing me with your artwork back in high school - and I know that your talent has blossomed, grown, and matured since then!

I can't wait to see more artwork from you! I'd love to see Carl and me in another rollercoaster, or a dirty Christmas card or two now and again as well.

Love,
Brad

Amanda said...

It's great to see that you feel such a strong urge to make your own art...you are a real artist, I knew that the first time I saw one of your paintings, way back in the ole' Bellevue Art days...

I'm with ya...I've started going to figure drawing sessions again, and it feels so good to draw in a classical, traditional way. It's like working out my "artistic muscle"...


The world will benefit from you making art, Jennifer! You have a talent for both form and feeling- I can't wait to see your future work!